Thursday, October 15, 2009

61. Make a friend in a random city/county

I had a penpal in highschool. Her name was Mélanie Y********* (I cannot believe that I remember her name) and she was from Paris, France. I always thought it was cool to talk to someone that lived in a different country than me, so I signed up for a penpal last week. It did not go very well for me.

A few days ago, I got a reply from this guy in Ethiopia. At first I thought, neat, Ethiopia is cool, they call samosas 'sambosa' and wear really loud clothes. I replied to him using my old email address just in case he turned out to be a creepo, and it's a good thing I did!

The first thing that I noticed was that he mispelled my name. I have a problem with this, especially since I had written what my name was in the message that he replied to. You want to be my friend? You gotta know my name. I probably would have let it slide if the next thing that he wrote was not: (actual exerpt from email)

"now i have a friend i'm happy to know you could you tell me your visit how do u find NY (I had mentioned my trip in my email) do you have a plan to vosit Africa as weel see you soon and i would be happy if we chat"

No, I will not be seeing you soon. I did not sign up for a pen pal in order to find a boyfriend on the other side of the world. Delete.

So if anyone out there knows someone who wants a pen pal, hopefully one that has no desire to meet me, give me their name. Until then, my quest continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment