Monday, January 25, 2010

102. Grow a lemon tree from a seed

Now, officially, this is not a part of my list, but over the past few days I have become obsessed with this. The idea came to me on Friday as I watering the plants in my house and I thought to myself.. I would really like to grow something from scratch.. something edible maybe. So I ran over to the refridgerator and took a peek, just for some inspiration of course, and not to eat the last slice of apple pie sitting on the second shelf from the top. Purely an informative mission.

Suddenly, it hit me. Lemon! Most definetly, of all the citruses that I could grow, I wanted lemon. Or maybe lime? I deliberated the two momentarally, thinking that lime is better in lime-ade form, but lemons are so bright that they always put me in a good mood. "Lemons it is," I said to myself.

The next logical step was google. I typed in "how to grow" and scrolled through my options. Weed.. taller.. garlic? I had to be more specific so I looked for my specific query and said "how to grow lemons" and lo! One of the options that came up was lemons grown from seed, and immediately I thought that this option is much better than buying a pre-grown lemon tree.

As it turns out, lemon seeds are a very finicky bunch, and they can't dry out at all or else they wont sprout. So, conveniently my mother has just purchased a lemon. I took it out, with every intention of just potting my lemon seed right then and there! How dissapointed I was to find that my lemon had no seeds in it, an uncanny hybrid mix of what I can only assume to be regular lemon and seedless watermelon.

Weird, because whenever I usually use lemons, there are tons of seeds in them and they fall into my lemonade and irritate me to no end. And it takes between 3 and 5 years before a lemon tree... sprouts if you will.. any lemons, so really there isn't any time to waste.

To make a long story short, I need to buy some more lemons. And I will keep you informed on any progress.

P.S. Am I allowed to switch this item for another one on my list that I no longer want to do?

2 comments:

  1. No you may not. Because, then when you decide you no longer want to do something, you just change it, making it unfair to the poor less exciting items on the list. They have feelings too :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, lemon seed is planted. It's in a sauna-like facility to encourage growth. Wish I were a little lemon seed, where all I do is sit in the sun and leech up moisture

    ReplyDelete